How often have you been shopping and you come across something that is just PERFECT, but does not go up to your size? Over 60% of American women wear a size 14 or above, but only 17% of clothing sold is 14 & up. That is a ridiculous disparity.
Moreover, when some brands move into plus (ahem H&M), they throw their signature trendy looks by the wayside in favor of flowy dark fabrics that they think “work” for plus sizes. That is crap. Plus size women want color, print, and structure. Moreover, we want variety. A group this numerous cannot be a monolith, and since style is such a personal thing, we all have different tastes. I want #plussizeplease to be a way to showcase the demand for styles we’d buy and rock, and all the money brands are forfeiting by refusing to expand their sizes.
So here’s how to use it:
1) Snap a picture of a garment you love but does not come in your size. Include the brand and price, tagging the company if possible. For example, I am in love with this Zara marble print dress. I would have purchased it yesterday if it went above a size L. My tweet would be:
“.@Zara marble print sheath, $59. I’d buy it right now if it came in my size. #plussizeplease”
2) Use it on any social media – Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest… even Facebook supports hashtags now.
3) Tag anything you’d purchase, whether in store or online.
4) Feel free to include the size range it comes in and/or the size you think you’d need. Sizing can be tricky, so this is definitely not required.
5) Tell your friends! I don’t just want this to be a blogger thing – I want all women who wear size 14 and up to show their purchasing power and share styles they love. Let’s be unignorable!
Perfect. I’m going to do this, especially since Target’s plus size line has been relaunched as a pathetic joke.
Bear House, Thailand
Houses like this drive me mad. Where’s the privacy? Where’s the safety in such a narrow walkway? It’s not that I don’t like open, airy spaces, but I also like not having a panic attack every time I have to cross from one part of the house to the other or having a decent shag without everyone in the house being able to watch. Come on, now, wealthy people. You can do better than this.
Art Collector’s Home in Dallas, TX
Sunlight’s going to ruin your art, dude. I’m trying not to even go into how the painting over the bed looks like a gaping vagina from a doggy style perspective with carefully trimmed retro bush, as is the fad these days.
I swear to God Target is trying to make me break up with them. Check out the model they chose for the triumphant return of their missing Plus Size department. Really Target, you do know that there are actual plus-ish sized models that are available to hire right?
come ON target, between ghosting their plus size line forever with no explanation, their photoshopping, their non-plus model use, and that andre-the-giant-esque on strap bathing suit, i am livid. if they didn’t have the best price on coke and toothpaste in my area i’d boycott. also if the monster fighter legos weren’t on clearance.
I just sent them a strongly worded email about this and the fact that the plus size in-store selection has been missing for so long. Everyone else should, too!
The in-store plus sizes are back and so awful that I wish they had stayed gone. Not only that, but the sizes are running a hell of a lot smaller. What the fuck is wrong with you, Target? There needs to be a strong letter writing and tweet campaign against this garbage. The friend I was with left the store in tears because the plus range only goes up to 3X now and runs so small that it doesn’t fit her at all. Like, not even close. Why would they do that?
I’m not great at comforting people, but booze is. Thank god for booze.
I feel like this photo deserves to be on this blog because on this day I’d just gotten hair cut to it’s shortest even and I felt impossibly fucking gorgeous!!! I love taking shots from “unflattering” angles since my body is stunning from any angle!
I mean, seriously, I AM A FUCKING GODDESS!!!
my new hero, everyone
How dog breeders have “improved” breeds over the past 100 years.
- The basset hound never used to sit so low. The dog has suffered changes to his rear leg structure, has excessive skin, vertebrae problems, droopy eyes that are prone to ectropion and entropion, and excessively large ears.
- The bull terrier used to be an athletic dog, but over the years his snout was mutated to be oversized and bending downwards, leading to respiratory issues. Many bull terriers have supernumerary teeth and are compulsive tail chasers and air biters owing to brain deformities.
- The boxer now has a much shorter face with an extremely short snout. The hindquarters are also lower. Like all brachycephalic dogs, the boxer has difficulty controlling his temperature in hot weather, meaning they are prone to overheating and collapsing in the summer. The boxer also has one of the highest cancer rates among dog breeds and many modern day boxers suffer from seizures.
- The english bulldog has evolved into a creature that suffers from almost every known disease. A kennel club survey conducted in 2004 found that they die on average at only 6 years and 4 months old. They cannot mate without human intervention, and cannot give birth naturally due to their giant heads. There is no such thing as a truly healthy bulldog.
- The dachshund, at one time, used to have functional legs and necks for their size. Their backs and legs have gotten longer, chest jutted forward, and legs have shrunk to such proportions that there is barely any clearance between their chest and the floor. Obese dachshunds usually have to actually drag their bellies across the ground. Their risk for intervertebral disc disease - which can result in paralysis - is extremely high. They are also prone to achrondoplastic related pathologies, progressive retinal apathy, and problems with their legs and joints.
- Pugs are the most inbred breed of dog in existence - an investigation carried out found that amongst the 10,000 pugs found in the UK are so inbred, the gene pool consists of the equivalent of only 50 individuals. They are extremely brachycephalic, and suffer severely from all the associated problems - the folds in their face frequently get infected, they struggle to breathe (making snoring/snorting/huffing noises even without moving), they have high blood pressure, low oxygenation, often collapse and die in the summer or if allowed to overheat, dentition problems due to their skulls being so curled in, and perhaps most shocking - their double curled tail is actually a genetic defect, and in its most serious forms leads to paralysis and many dogs needed a wheelchair or being euthanised if this progresses. These dogs are usually culled if they fail to produce this ‘attractive’ trait.
Healthy puppies that do not succumb to these ridiculous modern day breed standards are usually culled. One very heartbreaking example is the rhodesian ridgeback. The ridge is actually a genetic deformity - a mild form of spinal bifida - and puppies born without this ridge are healthy - but since the ridge is their namesake, healthy puppies are normally culled at birth and only those with noticeable ridges are bred from, thus passing the disability down to future dogs. Below is a ridgeback alongside a healthy, ridgeless dog.
3 to 4 million dogs and cats are killed every year because shelters are too full…. people are choosing to buy from breeders or shops instead of offering them a home.
Homeless animals outnumber homeless people by 5:1.
Only 1 in 10 dogs will ever find a permanent home.
25 PER CENT OF DOGS THAT ENTER SHELTERS ARE PUREBREEDS.
Please consider adopting a homeless dog. Please don’t encourage breeding these animals when there are so many being killed every year. Breeding is a profit, not “just” a hobby, and even if you think your breeder is reputable, they are still churning out puppies into a world where pets are seen as disposable.
This post is EXTREMELY important and I want all of you to read it.
NEVER buy a dog. Adoption should be your only option.
It’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for… Ko Ko melted the tape in the studio getting ferocious on this new song we’re calling “Gramercy Riff.”
Warriors… Come out to play…
Friday, December 20
Double Door / Chicago w/ Deal’s Gone Bad
Thursday, December 26
St. Andrew’s Hall / Detroit / sweet bands galore
I will never not entreat everyone I know to listen to the Hard Lessons. If I didn’t have laryngitis right now, I’d be humming the hell out of this tune all day.
You have chopped off your terrible extensions. You have placed the media under some strange hysterical spell. I respect that. But please, may we see something less tired?
The French-cut leotard. The awful twerking. The desperate attempt to be rebellious and edgy by flashing a little side vag and smoking a joint onstage. All that I could forgive… But Miley?